Wednesday

A Cautionary Garden Tip for You and Your Dog

Today,in honor of Earth Day, Puff and I hung out together and did some gardening. It got me to thinking about the dangers of pesticides and herbicides that your dog can encounter.
A few years ago, my neighbor called the city health department and requested free mosquito spray for her yard. Puff and I took a walk past her house shortly afterwards. His fluffy coat brushed the ornamental Monkey Grass she had planted along the walk...
..the next morning there were small, dead and dying animals all over the sidewalk, mice, squirrels,etc. My friend Mary surmised it must have been from the city mosquito spray. A couple hours later Puff showed signs of being very ill and after rushing to the vet, I asked him to do a blood panel and look for pesticides.
Puff's bloodwork came back positive for the mosquito spray....my complaint to the city fell on deaf ears as they said the pesticide was pet safe....obviously it wasn't since now before they spray, they warn people to put the pets in the house for a few hours.
Puff recovered at considerable expense with no liver damage, but in our case, we were able to know what pesticide we were dealing with enabling the vet to act promptly.
Your dog can be exposed to pesticides and herbicides in a variety of places outside of your own garden,even the dog park gets sprayed from time to time. Heavy rains often wash lawn fertilizer and weed killers onto the sidewalk where you and your dog walk.If you suspect that your dog may have walked in such chemicals immediately wash his/her feet in a mix of baking soda and water, the baking soda will often neutralize the acid effects of the chemical. Use at least 1 cup baking soda to 2 cups water. If you think your dog may have ingested some, call the ASPCA Poison Control Center at 1-(888)426-4435.
Remember, always use caution in the garden when your dog is present and if you can, go organic, it is better for you both, just don't let him pee on the peppers...